Minimal requierments for stardog 5

Hi,
the requirement spec in the manual for stardog 5 is not very detailed.
In particular it does not say which java version is required. I wonder whether stardog is also tested against openjdk?

Morever, it would be nice to know about reasonable requirements regarding memory and CPU for a small db (no more than 50K triples).

I am asking because I failed to run stardog 5 on machine with 2 cores and 2GB RAM (i.e. a rather small VM) with this error message:
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007efd396edc6e, pid=31805, tid=0x00007efd199c6700
#
# JRE version: Java™ SE Runtime Environment (8.0_131-b11) (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (25.131-b11 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# J 2297 C1 java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.getInt(J)I (39 bytes) @ 0x00007efd396edc6e [0x00007efd396edc00+0x6e]

Whereas, I had no problem on my local machine with 4 cores and 8 GB RAM.

Regads, Immanuel

"It just doesn’t get any easier than this: Stardog runs on Java 8. Stardog runs best on, but does not require, a 64-bit JVM that supports sun.misc.Unsafe." -- Home | Stardog Documentation 7.8.0

I've run it just fine on OpenJDK but I don't know if there is any official stance on JRE preference or specific testing.

50K triples is an almost trivial amount of data and you should be ok with very little memory. (More is almost always better but like the Rolling Stones said, "You don't always get what you want....")

I think your problem is Stardog is configured out of the box to allocate more memory than you have in your little vm. You'll need to trim down the memory allocation. You can do that by setting the environment variable STARDOG_JAVA_ARGS. The following is the default and you can adjust as needed.

STARDOG_JAVA_ARGS="-Xmx2g -Xms2g --XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=1g"

I've been playing around with Stardog on a RaspberryPi so you should be fine running it on limited hardware given the cpu/memory constraints.

You may also want to look at some of the new options in Stardog 5.0 for memory configuration options that might be helpful in a memory constrained environment depending on your anticipated workload Home | Stardog Documentation 7.8.0

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.