Entity recognition in Stardog Studio or CLI

Hi,
I'm a new Stardog user, who loves the product. Please forgive this newbe question, but can anybody tell me if NLP functions like Entity Match and Entity Link can be run from Stardog Studio? If so, please point me to the documentation. If not, please let me know if the CLI can be run with the Free Stardog Cloud?

Best regards,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Glad you're loving the product! Entity Extraction and Linking are possible in Studio, but you won't be able to use it as a free user. To use it in Studio:

1. Select the database you want to enable Entity Extraction and Linking for.
  2. Click Properties.
  3. Search for docs.opennlp.models.path.
  4. Type in the path to where you directory OpenNLP models are located.

The part of this you can't do is step 4, because we don't give Free/Essentials users any way to store files in Stardog Cloud.

It is possible to use the CLI with SDC Free. Merely specify the --server argument and your credentials in your command and enter the endpoint of your instance, e.g.:
stardog-admin --server https://sd-12345678.stardog.cloud:5820 db create -o search.enabled=true docs.opennlp.models.path=/path/to/folder -n movies -u username -p password -- person_movie.ttl (docs for this command)
However, this runs into the same issue - you can't store files in your STARDOG_HOME directory.

In order to use Entity Extraction and Linking, you can request a Stardog Trial License and run Stardog locally. From there, you can use either of the above methods to use this feature, using your local filesystem to hold the OpenNLP models. (If you use the CLI, you won't need to specify the server or your credentials, assuming your server is running on http://localhost:5820.)

Best,
Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Once I have a purchased a cloud account, will I be able to run NLP across unstructured data already in a KG? For instance, if I have some unstructured data in a Datatype Property called "instanceDescription", could I run Entity Recognition (and linking) on that data?

Best regards,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

While I would love it if you purchased Stardog Essentials, doing so would still not enable you to run entity extraction/linking. The Stardog Trial License I linked in my previous response is free and allows you to run Stardog locally on your computer (giving Stardog access to your file system and therefore OpenNLP models).

To answer your other question, the docs.opennlp.models.path property is freely mutable, so you don't need to create a new database to run entity extraction. (Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your question.)

Best,
Steve