Stardog Database on data stores

Hello,

Few questions regarding Stardog database.

1. Which database is used by Stardog? Is it a in-house built engine?
  2. Can the database files be stored in Object Store e.g. S3. CloudStorage, MInio?
  3. Can it be stored in Cassandra?
  4. Is stardog full Cloud Native, deployable over Kubernetes including databases?

thank you

Stardog at it's core is a in-house built engine and can variously be described as a triple-store, quad-store, graph database etc. But that's not the entire story, it also includes a virtual mapping capability that integrates a number of other databases. You thank think of this in a number of ways depending on how you're deploying it. It can be a data abstraction layer above a number of data stores that happens to supply a graph database or a graph store that provides integration to various other types of databases.

I don't believe that the database files can be stored in S3, etc. currently. The database engine called Mastiff utilizes RocksDB and utilizes local storage although there is a possibility that it could support that someday by using something like RocksDB-Cloud but I don't know if something like that might be on Stardog's development roadmap.

Stardog does support writing it's document store to S3 with it's BITES document store feature. This allows you to extract data from unstructured and semi structured documents and manage it thought the graph database.

I'm not sure what "it" is in this context but Stardog provides virtual mapping capabilities for Cassandra.

There isn't really an official definition of what Cloud Native is but I believe that Stardog could described as Cloud Native. There are docker images available and It is deployable to Kubernates and includes a Helm chart.

Hi Zachary,

Thanks for the reply.
By Cloud Native I mean https://www.cncf.io/ definition as
"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public, private, and hybrid clouds. Containers, service meshes, microservices, immutable infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this approach.

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient, manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they allow engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably with minimal toil.

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this paradigm by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source, vendor-neutral projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to make these innovations accessible for everyone."

I am a big fun of Stardog and its virtualisation capabilities but my current concern is how to deploy a fully scalable and elastic Stardog environment on Kubernetes. e.g. Can all the various underlying artefacts used by Stardog be containerised. Based on your answer I am assuming it is deployable of a file system. Which file system does it support? Any Distributed FS?

Yes, I was making the distinction that there is no formal definition or certification that I’m aware of that would make it “cloud native” but based on their description you could consider it cloud native.

Hi,

We have a couple of blog posts that are specifically about deployment via kubernetes that should hopefully answer your questions.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.