Interaction between model in Stardog Designer and model in Stardog Studio

The User Interface in Stardog Designer look nices and is easy to use.
As model in Stardog Studio is still a bit more powerfull (e.g. language support), I would like to use Stardog Designer as a kind of addition to the modeling facilities in Stardog Studio.

However, when I create or update a model in Designer and publish it to "Stardog server", it always creates a new model. Is there any possibility to update an existing model in Studio?

A comparable question the other way around. When I update a model in Studio, is there a possibility to update the equivalent model in Designer? All I can do now is adding a new Model in Designer; but once imported, I cannot remove nor update that specific model.

Regards,

René-Michel

Any update on this question from Rene-Michel?

In particular, the second part is still relevant in my opinion:

When I update a model in Studio, is there a possibility to update the equivalent model in Designer? All I can do now is adding a new Model in Designer; but once imported, I cannot remove nor update that specific model.

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, when publishing a project from Designer there is an option to replace an existing model. If republishing from the same project, we will default the option to replace the existing model. More details on publishing can be found in our docs, here.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your quick response!

Replacing an existing model is indeed easy to do from Designer to Studio. My question was more related to the other way around: updating the model in Studio and synchronizing the edits with Designer.
For example: Editing the IRI of a class in Studio using the Text editor, and see those changes reflected in Designer.

Turns out that this is possible by adding a Model in Designer. However, I notice that it is not possible to remove an imported Model. When removing attributes or when changing the IRI of a class in Studio this gives unwanted results in Designer: the removed attributes remain present or an additional class is created.
Is there any way to remove previously imported models in Designer?

I also notice that the mappings are not imported when adding a model in Designer. Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Designer projects are separate from your Stardog Knowledge Graph. The projects will read from existing knowledge graphs, such as using defined data sources to create a project resource that can be mapped in Designer or importing a model from a knowledge graph. Published projects are not connected directly connected to the resulting published graphs.

Is there any way to remove previously imported models in Designer?

This is a limitation within Designer for today. The model concepts must be deleted individually (or by selecting, you can multi-select by holding shift while selecting, the set of concepts to delete).

I also notice that the mappings are not imported when adding a model in Designer. Am I doing something wrong?

Importing mappings into Designer is currently not supported. Mappings from existing projects can be edited and re-published to replace the existing mapping or create a new virtual graph with the updated mapping. Additionally, when exporting a Designer project, there is a .stardogdesigner file that can be imported to create a project. The ability to import existing mappings is being considered in future releases.

Thanks,
Laura

Hi...I think this is a major flaw of the Stardog trio (Designer, Explorer, Studio).
I can update my model/data in Studio, and those change will appear back in Explorer, but not in Designer. They should all work off the same master graph.

1 Like