Server stops immediately on RedHat, no error message

I am trying to install and run Stardog on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.2. I have it installed in /var/opt/stardog-5.2.0
When I run stardog-admin server start, I get the standard startup message, which concludes with

Stardog server is listening on all network interfaces.
HTTP server available at http://localhost:5820.

But when I try to connect, there is no server listening at that port. The logfile shows a shutdown with no error messages. I am including it right here. I have no idea what could be happening. I have it running on a Ubuntu machine with no issues. Do you have any ideas what could cause this?

The log

INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,056 [main] com.complexible.stardog.StardogKernel:start(2251): Initializing Stardog

This copy of Stardog is licensed to Bonnie MacKellar (mackellb@stjohns.edu), St John's University
This is a Community license
This license does not expire.

:;   
                                  ;;                   `;`:   

'+', :: ++ ;:
+###++, ,#+ ++ . ##+.,', '#+ ++ + ,## ####++ ####+: ##,++ .###+++ .####+ ####++++#
##+ ####+' ##+#++ ###++``###'+++ ###'+++ ###,++,: ####+ ##+ ++. ##: ### ++ ### ++ ## ++: ###++, ##+ ++, ## ##; ++ ##: ++; ##, ++: ;+++ ##+ ####++, ## ##: ++ ##: ++' ;##'#++ ;++ ##+ ### ++, ## ##' ++ ##; ++: ####+ ,. +++ ##+ ##: ++, ## ### ++ ### .++ '#; ,####++' +##++ ###+#+++ ## :####+++ ####++' ;####++ ####+; ##++ ###+,++ ## ;###:++ ###+; ###++++
## ++ .## ;++ #####++
`;;;.

Stardog server 5.2.0 started on Wed Jan 10 13:42:39 EST 2018.

Stardog server is listening on all network interfaces.
HTTP server available at http://localhost:5820.

STARDOG_HOME=/var/opt/stardog-5.2.0

INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,495 [main] com.complexible.stardog.cli.impl.ServerStart:call(233): Memory options
INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,496 [main] com.complexible.stardog.cli.impl.ServerStart:call(234): Memory mode: DE
FAULT
INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,496 [main] com.complexible.stardog.cli.impl.ServerStart:call(235): Min Heap Size:
2.0G
INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,497 [main] com.complexible.stardog.cli.impl.ServerStart:call(236): Max Heap Size:
1.9G
INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,497 [main] com.complexible.stardog.cli.impl.ServerStart:call(237): Max Direct Mem:
1.0G
INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,497 [main] com.complexible.stardog.cli.impl.ServerStart:call(238): Max Mapped Mem:
115M
INFO 2018-01-10 13:42:39,497 [main] com.complexible.stardog.cli.impl.ServerStart:call(239): System Memory:
94G
Waiting for running tasks to complete...done. Executor service has been shut down.
Stardog server 5.2.0 shutdown on Wed Jan 10 13:42:50 EST 2018.

My best guess would be that the firewall is blocking port 5820

After that I’d check if there is an issue with selinux.

Thanks. The port may be the issue. It may be blocked up at the network level, but our local IT staff doesn’t know. I will have to submit a ticket to the networking group. The joys of trying to work with a machine that I don’t have complete control over. Can I ask what selinux is?

SELinux provides mandatory access controls for Linux systems and is used in the RedHat distribution. I don’t think that’s the issue here since it starts up fine without any errors but if there were access problems they would show up in the logs. You should be able to access the server locally so can test that out if you have ssh access to the machine.

I just re-read you message and noticed that you said that it shutdown. Can you get someone to try restarting it and checking if someone had simply manually shut it down or if it’s immediately shutting down after starting. You should also have them look at the stardog.log file to see if there are any errors or warnings.

Hi,

I posted stardog.log in my orignal post. There are no error messages.

Thanks. I wasn’t sure if that was the log or just the output from the console after you start Stardog. I see you annotated it with “The log”. Sorry about that. I must be a little distracted and I keep missing details. I blame the internet, it’s destroyed my ability to focus.

Any luck getting Stardog running?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.