Stardog interferes with Python installation

I am trying to install Python2.7 on Ubuntu to run a script that will read from MySQL. When i do the install, I get Stardog related error messages even though I have never used any version of Python with Stardog. What is going on? Did Python somehow get inadvertently installed when I installed Stardog, or did it do something to my environment that is causing a conflict? I should note - I don't have a lot of expertise with Python or Python configuration.

Here is the command I used to install Python

sudo apt install python2.7 python-pip

and the error message

Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up stardog (5.3.1) ...
uid=1001(stardog) gid=1001(stardog) groups=1001(stardog)
/var/lib/dpkg/info/stardog.postinst: line 15: systemctl: command not found
dpkg: error processing package stardog (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127

Why is it trying to do anything with Stardog?

Bonnie MacKellar
Division of Computer Science, Math and Science
St John's University
Queens, NY
mackellb@stjohns.edu

It looks like the system you are running on does not have systemd installed and thus the systemctl: command not found error. When you installed Stardog it expected to find that and failed thus the install of stardog failed and left your apt database in an inconsistent state. When you then attempted to install python it ran through all of the outstanding tasks and found that to still be a problem. Are you installing in a docker container by chance?

We should probably make systemctl optional going forward.

I am still confused.I installed Stardog quite some time ago and it works fine. Right now, I am not trying to install Stardog, I am trying to install Python. They really shouldn't have anything to do with each other, but evidently Stardog did something to my
environment that is causing problems. I am on a fairly old version of Ubuntu (14.04).

One of the reasons that this is a problem is because I do need Python to work with MySQL, and this error is also preventing the MySQLDB module from installing.

Are you sure that python was not installed? If I am seeing this correctly python should be installed fine but because Stardog is never finished installing properly it keeps trying after it successfully installed python.

I file a bug for the systemd dependency and try to come up with a work around for that error for you soon but I am fairly sure the environment should be ok you are just going to keep getting that annoying error. My apologies for that.

You are right that python installed, but mysqlsb would not install using apt. Eventually I got it to install using conda instead. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.