Can't invite a user

Hi
I can log into my Stardog free account but I can't invite a user. The error message says I don't have permission but I'm an admin. My login is semwodg@gmail.

The message reads: Error inviting user: You do not have permission to view this role

Can you help?

Rdg semwodg
(https://stardog.com/cloud).

Hi Marcus,

To be able to send an invite to a user, you need to have the following two permissions:

• READ User:*
  • READ Role:*

Can you confirm for me the user you're signed in as has both of those permissions?

Best,
Steve

Hi Steve,

No but when I try to add these roles I get the following error:

Failed to add permission to user "semwodg@gmail.com": You are not authorized to add permissions to a user. Contact your system admin to ensure you have the correct user privileges.

It is as though my admin privileges have been removed. I was previously able to do this.

Best regards,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Are you sure you're logged into the same user and endpoint you were before?

To be able to grant permissions to a user, you need to have both the GRANT permission for that resource as well as the actual permission you're trying to grant (read more here).

Can you show me which permissions your user does have?

Best,
Steve

Steve,

I'm admin for a Stardog Free Cloud instance and a Stardog Essentials instance. I'm trying to add a user to the free instance from the Stardog Launchpad where I get an error sending informing me that I need to request changes from the stardog admin. I get a similar error when trying to add a user in the Stardog Studio/Security UI. As creator I am admin and I checked out the doco link you sent. It "appears" that I have the requisite authority to create a user but in any case can't assign a role nor add an explicate permission (when I try I get an error: Failed to add permission to user "semwodg@gmail.com": You are not authorized to add permissions to a user. Contact your system admin to ensure you have the correct user privileges.).

Kind of stuck at this point.

Best regards,
Marcus

BTW Steve,

I'm logging in as semwodg@gmail.com

cheers,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Can you send me a screenshot of the Security tab of Studio where you've selected the user you're logged in as? I want to see which permissions and roles your user actually has. Please blur/black out any sensitive info.

Best,
Steve

Sure Steve,

cheers,
Marcus

Hi Marucs,

You don't have CREATE user:*, hence why you can't create a user. How did you get all these permissions in the first place?

By the way, many of your permissions (e.g. CREATE admin:carbon, line 85) are invalid. It might be worth reviewing our table of valid permissions to clean up your list of permissions (will make debugging permission issues easier).

Best,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Been cleaning up permissions and note the following:

• I can't delete some permissions that are invalid (e.g. WRITE role)
  • semwodg@gmail.com (owner) doesn't have the ability to add permissions for user
  • still can't invite user from Launchpad (still receive error to contact admin)
  • still can't create a user in Studio (still receive error to contact admin)

So I can't effectively clean up the permissions or add users.

Any ideas?

Rdg Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I notice from your previous screenshots that your user doesn't have the cloud role. This is the role we grant to users of our SDC endpoints so they can have all the capabilities admins do. Do any of your users have the cloud role? Is cloud in your list of roles? The reason you can't add/invite users or grant permissions are because you lack the necessary permissions to do each of those things, and having cloud would allow you to do all of them (and many other things).

As for being unable to delete some invalid permissions, this happens to me sometimes too, but the permissions go away when I reload Studio. Let me know if reloading doesn't help for you and we can look more deeply.

Best,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't have the ability to add a cloud role and can't select that role (it is not in the list of available roles).

The reason why the cloud role is no longer available is a mystery.

Even after reloading my ability to delete invalid permissions is limited so some are not removable. I suspect, but don't know, that this is the result of lack of the cloud role.

cheers,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I might have misunderstood your setup. Do you have three environments?

• SDC Free
  • SDC Essentials
  • A locally hosted Stardog that Launchpad points at

Launchpad doesn't come with the cloud role, and you can't invite users to a Launchpad environment. (You should have that role and that ability on the SDC-hosted environments, though.)

Also, when you were showing me screenshots of your permissions, which environment was that for? Launchpad?

Best,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I have SDC Free and SDC Essentials. One of the SDC Essentials users may have a locally hosted stardog but no me.

My issue is with the SDC Free instance.

I have been attempting to establish a user via Launchpad but also via Studio. My ability to add a user in either interface is zero. As we have established, I do not have permission to do so because I don't have cloud access (and can't select that in Studio). I don't know how this was lost but without it I'm unable to add users.

The screenshots were from the SDC Free instance.

Regards Marcus