Started adding Essentials, Designer projects in Free was destroyed

Hi. I started to look into the Essentials option. Started registering so I could see payment options in Essentials. The endpoint was created. And in a state to look into payment, that is fair. Then going into Designer in Free, projects was gone. Explorer has content as it should. Tried to delete the Essentials endpoint, it gave error in the delete panel. I logged off and in again. Same empty state in Free Designer, the Essential endpoint was there still. Log off and on once more, the Essential endpoint was gone. But still same empty state in Free Designer. Looks like some issue in management of designer artefacts between endpoints. Any explanations?

Thanks Einar C.

Hi Einar,

I think this is likely a coincidence in terms of timing. Reviewing Essentials should not have an effect on your Designer projects.

Designer projects are specific to the browser you are using. If you change browsers or clear your browser's local storage, your designer projects will also be cleared.

You may always export your Designer project. The exported zip file contains a file with the extension .stardogdesigner. This file can be imported to create the same project in Designer (drop-down menu next to New).

Thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura.

Thanks for the advice. But it does not solve the issue.
I was running in Chrome. I run on Win 11. So I try in Edge browser, fresh access to stardog.com I ok all cookies, no items in designer project selection. So I also try in Vivaldi browser, fresh access to stardog.com I ok all cookies, no items in designer project selection.
Yes, safeguarding my own work is a good practice, when playing around such things easy fade away.

Thanks, Einar.

Hi Einar,

Your experience is consistent with what Laura said. Because your Designer projects are stored in your browser, there won't be in items in your Designer project selection when you use a new browser.

Unfortunately, you'll have to recreate whatever projects you had from scratch, but from there you can export your projects and load them into Designer on whichever browser you like.

Best,
Steve

Hi.

Then a simple question.
Are the models and mappings stored in the Stardog RDF store or are they stored only in the browser cookies?
If stored in Stardog DB - would mean the projects for designer selection experiences could easily be recreated. What internal named graphs structure are they stored in?
If stored only in browser cookies - would mean - big warning to all user. (I really hope this is not the case.)

More input. I switch computer less than two month ago. All fresh image and SW installs. The designer projects in the selection page come up as expected. I also switched between Chrome and Edge on the old install, with seamless experience. This experience tells otherwise than your story. Can you revisit how this work?
Starting to add a new endpoint started this issue.

Regards, Einar.

Hi again.
I did more traceback of myself. I still have the old computer in my hands. I started it. Go into Chrome browser. Go into Designer project selection. There projects are listed, I can select. I export stuff to have it, (I found also that I had done so before, nice). I go into Edge, log in, no warning about cookies, I have bee into Stardog cloud with Edge before. Go to Designer project selection, it is empty. I have probably only used Explorer in Edge, demo stuff. Hence Stardog info about Designer project selection is in cookies only is right. Disturbing to me, bad design. Designer project selection should not be browser dependent, not friendly to users. Please remove such dependencies.
The question, in the previous post, about where models and mappings are stored still is open. The answer should be known to users.

Regards, Einar

Hi Einar,

To clarify, Designer projects are specific to the browser (and additionally the computer) you are using. If you change browsers or computers, your projects will not be accessible on the new browser or device. If you clear your browser's local storage, your designer projects will also be cleared.

As you noted, you may export your Designer project. The exported zip file contains a file with the extension .stardogdesigner. This file can be imported to create the same project in Designer (drop-down menu next to New ).

Starting a new endpoint has no effect on existing Designer projects. It seems when you were starting a new endpoint, you were using a different computer. Designer projects are not shared across computers or browsers.

Models and mappings, once published, are stored on your Stardog endpoint. Publishing a project is when a Designer project goes from a draft state separate from your endpoint to a live state. Designer projects are separate from your endpoint, so they do not disturb any live models and mappings while your work is in progress.

I hope this helps clarify your questions, and we'll continue considering alternatives to project storage.

Thank you,
Laura

I think you should revisit your solution approach.

Thank you, Einar. We appreciate you sharing your concern over this design, and we'll continue considering alternatives for project storage.